Hiking the Grand Canyon from the North rim to the South rim -- 23.5 miles with a 5841' descent and a 4460' ascent. This is a hike with a purpose -- raising funds and awareness for ministry.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

reflections from the hike- baggage

Part of my training for the hike was hiking with weights in the backpack.  I would put 30 pounds in the pack and then walk up and down a 50 foot hill.  The interensting thing about the weight was how I became used to walking with it.  I appreciated what I was walking with when I put it on and when I took it off.  But while I was carrying it, I got used to it.
We carry a lot of baggage with us every day.  This baggage weighs us down.  Peter gives us a wonderful invitation- get rid of your baggage, cast your cares on God because He cares for you.  Besides that, Jesus took care of much of the baggage that we carry around.
On the day of the hike, there were things that I needed to take- water, food, a map, compass, and first aid.  There are things that we need in our pilgramage here on Earth.  These are the things that God has given us- the Bible, Word and Sacrament ministry (church service), a family of faith (church memebers), faith, prayer ...
I also needed to be selective in what I took with me.  That which I put in my backpack I had to carry for 24 miles, up and down over 8000 feet.  If I packed too heavily, it would weigh me down.  In our pursuits of daily life, we forget to keep it simple.  That which is necessary for this life is that which prepares us and others for the next life.  We need to remember Jesus' words- do not store up your treasure on Earth but in Heaven.
Finally, remember Jesus' gracious invitation, with a slight modification.
Come to me you who are weak and heavy laden and I will give you rest.  Take my backpack and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my backpack is easy and my burden is light.

No comments:

Post a Comment